theos-talk.com

[MASTER INDEX] [DATE INDEX] [THREAD INDEX] [SUBJECT INDEX] [AUTHOR INDEX]

[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]

Re: Theos-World fields - to Leon

Nov 21, 2002 08:48 PM
by Mic Forster


Thanks for that Dennis. Crazy, crazy stuff....though
so unexpected?


--- Dennis Kier <dennw3k@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Of course, this is all over my head, but I did read
> something recently
> that may be relevant, -or not?
> 
> Dennis
> **********************************
> BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Mirror matter mystery
> 
> Wednesday, 13 November, 2002, 14:40 GMT
> Mirror matter mystery
> 
> By Dr David Whitehouse
> BBC News Online science editor
> 
> 
> Two Australian scientists believe they have
> found evidence of a
> parallel universe of strange matter within our own
> Solar System. Dr
> Robert Foot and Dr Saibal Mitra, of the University
> of Melbourne,
> report that close-up observations of the asteroid
> Eros by the
> Near-Shoemaker
> probe indicate it has been splattered by
> so-called "mirror
> matter". Mirror matter is not anti-matter, it is
> altogether weirder.
> It is somehow a "reflection" of normal matter, a
> sort of parallel
> series of particles required to restore the balance
> of the Universe.
> Sounds far-fetched - some believe so. However,
> experiments are
> underway to confirm or deny the existence of this
> strange, potentially
> significant but as yet undetected component of the
> cosmos.
> Cosmic balance
> Mirror matter is a hypothetical form of matter
> that restores
> nature's flawed left-right symmetry. Laws of
> nature, such as the
> rules that govern the interactions of fundamental
> particles, show a
> high degree of symmetry except that some laws are
> not the same when
> reflected in a hypothetical mirror.
> 
> Blue dirt: Pools of dust may be impact
> sites This
> means that elementary particles display a preference
> for left over
> right. In a way, the Universe is left-handed. Why?
> Nobody knows. Many
> physicists are happy with this idea believing that
> in the first
> instants of the Big Bang everything was perfectly
> symmetrical. Only
> when the cosmos cooled did it become asymmetric,
> with a difference
> emerging between left and right. But some
> scientists do not accept
> this. They maintain that the Universe has a
> left-right balance
> because there exists "mirror matter" - for every 
> known particle there
> is a mirror particle that restores the cosmic 
> balance.
> Dark matter
> Mirror matter would produce its own light but
> we would not be
> able to see it because mirror matter only interacts
> with our matter
> via gravity. Dr Robert Foot believes that mirror
> matter would have
> been made in abundance in the Big Bang and that it
> is all around us
> but we can't see it.
> 
> Mirror man Dr Robert Foot
> 
> "There could be mirror matter stars, planets
> and galaxies out
> there," he told BBC News Online. "In fact, some
> think that the
> unseen so-called "dark matter" of the Universe
> could actually be
> mirror matter," he adds. "Mirror matter is perfect
> to explain dark
> matter. It's dark and can only be detected through
> its gravity." Dr
> Foot believes he has found evidence that it is here,
> closer than we
> believed, and that it had had a measurable effect on
> our spaceprobes.
> 
> Mysterious force
> In October 2000, the Near-Shoemaker spacecraft
> lightly touched
> down on the 3-by-13-by-33-km (8 by 8 by 20 miles)
> Eros asteroid. It
> was the first time a probe had landed on an
> asteroid. Its close
> scrutiny of Eros revealed many strange features -
> such as
> flat-bottomed craters filled with a peculiar bluish
> dust, and a
> puzzling lack of small craters. Unexplained by
> conventional
> understanding, Dr Foot believes that mirror matter
> provides an
> answer.
> He calculates that small objects containing
> mirror matter could
> have struck the asteroid and left behind precisely
> the same scars
> that are seen. Indeed, he says there is no other
> credible
> explanation. He also calculates that mirror matter
> may explain the
> mysterious force that acts on both the Pioneer 10
> and 11 deep
> spaceprobes.
> 
> Distant probes
> 
> Launched in 1972, the Pioneers are leaving the
> Solar System in
> opposite directions. Detailed analysis of their
> trajectory indicates
> that they are both subject to a tiny, unexplained
> force that is
> slowing them down. Dr Foot believes that mirror
> matter exerting a drag
> on the Pioneers could
> be to blame.
> 
> Mysterious force: Pioneer 10
> 
> "How else can you explain that both Pioneers,
> on opposite ends
> of the Solar System, experience the same force
> pushing in the same
> direction?" Dr Foot asks. In a research paper to be
> published
> shortly, Drs Foot and Mitra suggest that mirror
> matter may even have
> struck the Earth. He singles out three possible
> events: the 1908
> Tunguska impact in Siberia and low-altitude,
> low-velocity fireballs
> seen in Spain in 1994 and in Jordan in 2001. 
> "Mirror matter could
> also explain these events," he told BBC News Online.
> 
> Future experiments
> 
> Many scientists dismiss mirror matter as wild
> speculation but
> even the sceptics will have cause for thought if
> the latest
> experiments from the European Centre for Nuclear
> Research (Cern) are
> to be believed. Experiments involving so-called
> ortho-positronium - an
> arrangement in which an electron orbits a positron
> (its antimatter
> equivalent) - show that it decays slightly faster
> than can be
> explained. This could be due, says Dr Foot, to the
> electrons changing
> fleetingly into mirror matter and then back again.
> Experiments at
> Cern and in Moscow hope to determine in the next
> year or so if mirror
> matter really does exist. See also:
> 
> 26 Sep 01 | Science/Nature
> Asteroid's mystery 'blue ponds'
> 
> 30 Jul 02 | Science/Nature
> Antimatter mystery deepens
> 
> 06 May 99 | Science/Nature
> Matter or antimatter, that is the question
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: <leonmaurer@aol.com>
> To: <theos-talk@yahoogroups.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 3:00 AM
> Subject: Re: Theos-World fields - to Leon
> 
> 
> >
> > In a message dated 11/16/02 5:01:28 AM,
> micforster@yahoo.com writes:
> >
> > >
> > >Leon you say:
> > >
> 
=== message truncated ===


__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus  Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com


[Back to Top]


Theosophy World: Dedicated to the Theosophical Philosophy and its Practical Application