Theos-World Re: Anand's stand and the election
Jun 29, 2009 12:45 PM
The pledge, as it was taken during the time of Blavatsky, by the candidates while joining the Esoteric Section of the TS, is already uploaded by Daniel and perhaps more people on the web sites. As it is no more secrete, I am copying it here. Source: http://www.blavatskyarchives.com/espage1.htm
The main contradiction, which I see in this pledge, is although pledge is made to the Higher Self, the other rule demands "Obedience to the Head of the Esoteric Section in all Theosophical matters."
Question can be asked whether a person should listen to the voice of his own Higher Self, or whether he should listen to the commands of the Head of the Esoteric Section.
If the Head of the Esoteric Section is not a disciple and clairvoyant, how will he know the inner occult condition of a pupil in the Esoteric School?
If the Head does not know pupil's condition, how can pupil trust his inner life to this Head by obeying commands of the Head of the ES?
Below is the pledge as drafted by Blavatsky.
The Esoteric Section of the T.S.
I forward herewith a copy of the Rules and Pledge for Probationers of the Esoteric Section of the T.S.
Should you be unable to accept them, I request that you will return this to me without delay.
Rules of the Esoteric Section (Probationary) of the Theosophical Society.
1. No person shall belong to the Esoteric Section who is not already a Fellow of the Theosophical Society.
2. Application for membership in the Esoteric Section must be accompanied by a copy of the Pledge hereto appended, written out and signed by the Candidate, who thereupon enters upon a special period of probation, which commences from the date of his signature.
3. All members shall be approved by the Head of the Section.
4. He who enters the Esoteric Section is as one "newly born"; his past---unless connected with crime, social or political, in which case he cannot be accepted--- shall be regarded as never having had existence in respect of blame for actions committed.
5. Groups of Theosophists belonging to the Esoteric Section may be formed under a charter from the Head of the Section.
6. Any member joining the Section expressly agrees, without reservation, Clause II of the Pledge.
7. To preserve the unity of the Section, any person joining it expressly agrees that he shall be expelled, and the fact of his expulsion made public to all members of the Section, should he violate any one of the three following conditions:-
(a) Obedience to the Head of the Section in all Theosophical matters.
(b) The Secrecy of the Signs and Passwords.
(c) The Secrecy of the documents of the Section, and any communication from any Initiate of any degree, unless absolved from such secrecy by the Head of the Section.
Pledge of Probationers in the Esoteric Section of the T.S.
1. I pledge myself to endeavor to make Theosophy a living power in my life.
2. I pledge myself to support, before the world, the Theosophical movement, it's leaders and it's members; and in particular to obey, without cavil or delay, the orders of the Head of the Esoteric Section in all that concerns my relation with the Theosophical movement.
3. I pledge myself never to listen, without protest, to any evil think spoken of a brother Theosophist, and to abstain from condemning others.
4. I pledge myself to maintain a constant struggle against my lower nature, and to be charitable to the weakness of others.
5. I pledge myself to do all in my power, by study and otherwise, to fit myself to help and teach others.
6. I pledge myself to give what support I can to Theosophical movement, in time, money, and work.
7. I pledge myself to preserve inviolable secrecy as regards signs and passwords of the Section and all confidential documents.
So help me, my Higher Self.
[Back to Top]
Dedicated to the Theosophical Philosophy and its Practical Application